Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Diamonds are a photographer's best friend.

 





Yes it has been a while. I recently had the chance to shoot a large jewelry collection, ranging from antiques to gaudy 70ies gold bracelets.  I had not had the opportunity to shoot tiny objects with excessive amount of reflections before so I was excited.  I had to shoot many pieces  in a short time, but I wanted to experiment  and get a few interesting images rather than  the usual clean on white background images for a catalog. 


So I went for a  simple geometric background  and relied on contrast, shadows and bold colors  to highlight the details. I wanted to highlight the 'substance' of these not so subtle pieces.  So I used:

- black plexiglass

-white marble slab samples (from a bathroom remodeling project!)

- dark grey paper background

 I also went for a macro lens, a  stabilized Canon 100mm f2.8 which was super fun to use. I even used it handheld for a few shots (I know I know)  and  images were still quite sharp. 

Set up: One softbox on top and a gridded strobe 1-2  stop down and behind the object, opposite to camera. (remember: the further  away this light is  the harder the shadows will be)   Just remember that  with a macro lens depth of field is truly  minuscule so dial up your flashes, close down  the aperture to  f20+ and beware of glare. Minimal post processing, but make sure to clean up your set from dust!


No comments: